After watching that brilliant trailer for Villeneuve’s adaptation of the Dune saga by Frank Herbert I felt that I should really read the whole saga including non-Frank additions before I see the film.
I’ve been reading the original saga since the late 70s and it was one of the first series of books that I remember being excited about a new addition coming out, but I’ve always avoided reading any of the books outside of Frank Herbert’s original six just incase I was disappointed and it spoiled the whole ‘universe’, but now I feel I should really give them a go to round out everything.
I also at this point have to admit that I have a soft spot for the David Lynch film no matter what other people say, and no matter how much it diverted from the source material. It was visually stunning for the time and I’m going to watch that again this evening (and probably another couple of times before I get to see the new one).
There is an article on Tor.com called ‘Where to Start with the Dune Universe‘ and I’m going to follow the chronological reading order they recommend, and to this end have just got myself a copy of ‘The Road to Dune‘ that has a lot of the early short stories in it.
I’ll give a really brief review of each story/book as I read them so you’ll see this post pop to the top of the blog occasionally as I read another part of the saga.
- “Hunting Harkonnens” (story, The Road to Dune)
- Dune: The Butlerian Jihad
- “Whipping Mek” (story, The Road to Dune)
- Dune: The Machine Crusade
- “The Faces of a Martyr” (story, The Road to Dune)
- Dune: The Battle of Corrin
- Sisterhood of Dune
- Mentats of Dune
- “Red Plague” (story, Tales of Dune)
- Navigators of Dune
- Dune: House Atreides
- Dune: House Harkonnen
- Dune: House Corrino
- “Wedding Silk” (story, Tales of Dune)
- “A Whisper of Caladan Seas” (story, The Road to Dune)
- “The Waters of Kanly” (story, Infinite Stars)
- Paul of Dune
- Dune Messiah
- The Winds of Dune
- Children of Dune
- God Emperor of Dune
- Heretics of Dune
- Chapter House Dune
- “Sea Child” (story, Tales of Dune)
- “Treasure in the Sand” (story, Tales of Dune)
- Hunters of Dune
- Sandworms of Dune
- Tales of Dune
- The Road to Dune
- Dreamer of Dune [biography of Frank Herbert]
Hunting Harkonnens, short story
I started in on this as soon as my copy of ‘The Road to Dune‘ arrived, a straightforward little adventure to introduce us to the universe of thinking machines, Harkonnen behaviour, Caladan, Zensunni Wanderings, and the Buddislamic tribes. Nothing too exciting and seemed a bit truncated, but otherwise OK.